Saturday, March 19, 2011

Google it

During spring break, we visited with a 24-year-old relative who was travelling through town.  He and his wife travel in an old RV most of the year living at campgrounds and staying with friends and family.

I'm not sure what to call their lifestyle; "alternative" doesn't seem to quite cover it.  I think he has created a lifestyle that allows him to cope with modern society in the best way he can, which is in brief periods. He has battled schizophrenia since high school, and has suffered from the consequences of some bizarre anti-social behavior at times.  I have only met him a few times (he is a cousin by marriage and grew up in another part of the country) and basically know him from the stories that are told about him.

His appearance can be unsettling if you're not familiar with him--mostly black, ripped up clothing, piercings, lots and lots of elasped time since his last shower.  He does have an unusual creative talent, however. He apprenticed and worked hard to become one of a handful of people in the US who can handmake a hurdy-gurdy. It's a beautiful-looking medieval French musical instrument that sounds alot like a bagpipe.

But since no one knows what they are or wants a new one, or even wants to hear one, he doesn't make a living at it. So he drives around in his RV, playing the hurdy-gurdy for people that he stays with.

So, so what? Why is this on my blog? Well, he has been on my mind ever since he and I talked school--my thoughts and work toward teaching as well as his school experiences.

I should point out that he is extremely easy to talk with, very engaged and thoughtful. In fact, he is a better conversationalist than many "normal" people that I know.

I can only imagine how damaging his school years were and how frustrated both he and the teachers were. Not only did he not fit in because of his choice in appearance but he was dealing with mental illness, too.
He spoke about teachers hating him and never feeling like he was accepted at any point. It must have been a torture chamber for him most of the time especially because his home life was not so great either, from what I've heard. 

I find myself using Justin (his real name) as an example when I think about future similarly difficult students in my classes. How will I create an atmosphere that lets him know he's welcome and safe? I personally have a giant soft spot in my heart for people who don't fit in, but let's face it, most kids do not.  How will I get the other kids to feel it's safe to befriend a Justin?  Also, for a kid who is simply not motivated in any way to aim for high grades, how will I encourage him to try and how will I reward him for trying? Would he see through the "A for effort" approach and become more cynical?  Will trying to really help a Justin in my class totally wear me down?  Would my principal support my efforts to help, even if they are somewhat unorthodox, in terms of grading for example?  This particular Justin is clearly extremely creative, hardworking, and determined, but not in a way that currently matters at schools.

Justin is off meandering the country in his RV now but is planning to stop by again in the next few months. I look forward to talking to him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment